Like me on Facebook!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jenny-Block/118385024943309

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Thank You For Being A Freind



I have been a Golden Girls fan for as long as I can remember. (Come on, admit it, you have been too.) And right now, Uptown Players is performing a new show at The Rose Room called Thank You For Being a Friend, based on the show and its characters. Unofficially, of course. What fun would it be otherwise!

The gang's all there - Blanche, Rose, Sophia, and Dorothy. Only now they're Blanchette, Roz, Sophie, and Dorothea. And they are up to some pretty serious antics, including a showdown with next door neighbor Lance Bass. Yup. Lance Bass of 'N Sync "fame."

Dorthea, played by Lon Barrera, is almost too good to be true, as are Michael B. Moore as Blanchette and Chris Robinson as Roz. John de Los Santos as Sophie was a little much for my taste, too broad - no pun intended - and lacking in the authenticity that marked Barrera's, Moore's, and Robinson's performances.

The set is a hoot. The music is hilarious. And the costumes are worth the price of admission. Some of it was a bit off-color even for me. But certainly not enough to keep me away and it shouldn't keep you from checking it out either.

All I can say is, if you don't laugh, you're missing a missing a funny bone. And my guess is you can find it somewhere in the 80s!

No comments:

Post a Comment